How veterinary drugs get to market in the UK

Article head shot.jpg

Before a veterinary medicinal product can be marketed in the UK, it must have a marketing
authorisation (MA) or meet certain criteria for exemption. An MA can be granted in the
European Union (EU) via the European Medicines Agency (EMA) and European Commission
(EC), or in the UK via the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD). This article looks at what
is involved in the licensing of veterinary medicinal products, including generics, for use in the UK.  The article was produced through a collaborative process. The first draft was prepared by Helen Barnett. This draft was reviewed by a wide range of commentators (including Paul Cooper (Assentra) and representatives of the Veterinary Medicines Directorate, NOAH and pharmaceutical companies.